Pitched Roof Drainage
Frequently Asked Questions
There are three factors to consider here:
1) FlowPlumb gutters have design features to make them drain the roof more quickly. For example, the gutters have ribs running down them to increase flow and stop water splashing over, and the outlets have fins to direct the water into the down pipe.
2) The slowest flow rate of our gutter range in 4.7 litres per second, on the Regency gutter. That’s nearly two and a half 2 litre bottles of water EVERY SECOND. No where on earth does it rain that much!! The heaviest rainfall ever recorded was 31mm in one minute – that’s half a millimetre per second.
3) The size of the gutter is almost irrelevant – it’s the number of downpipes that determine the speed of drainage. The more downpipes you have, the quicker the gutters will drain and the less likely they will overflow. As a basic rule of thumb, the larger the roof area, the larger the gutter needs to be because the volume of water coming off the roof will be higher.
Not only do you not need glue, it shouldn’t be used! FlowPlumb gutters clip into place. It makes installation quick and easy, but it also means the gutter has some movement. Throughout the day, as the temperature rises and then cools, the gutter will expand and then contract. The FlowPlumb System allows this to happen. You’ll see in the fittings there is an “insert to here” line. This leaves a gap for the gutter to expand into. When Gutters are glued, they cannot move, so when they heat up and expand, the only thing they can do is buckle in the middle.
Consider all the features of the FlowPlumb gutter and then compare to the average gutter that’s available. Also ask, what’s the price of not choosing FlowPlumb? Annual maintenance and replacement after just a few years? Our aim is to provide GOOD VALUE FOR MONEY – it’s cheaper in the long run to do it properly first time by choosing a quality product.
• The markings on the fitting show the installer where to fit the gutter so that it won’t pull out of the fitting.
• The thumb clips hold the gutter in place
• The rubber seal provides a water-tight connection. When the gutter is clips in, it’s pushed down into the rubber
Unlike metal gutters, Hunter Gutters never need painting. In fact they shouldn’t be painted. Not only do they not need painting and won’t fade, the colour goes all the way through the gutter wall so even if they get scratched during transport or installation, the scratch won’t show.
Co-extrusion helps the colour from fading but the PVCu material also contains a UV protection.